The following materials relate to heterosexism, homophobia, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other topics. To learn more about an item or to purchase a book, please click on its title. As an Amazon Associate,, up to 15% of all book purchases made through Amazon.com (by clicking a link below and ordering the book online) will go toward supporting this web site.
Overviews of Heterosexism and Homophobia
- Blackburn, M. V. (2011). Interrupting Hate: Homophobia in Schools and What Literacy Can Do About It. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Blumenfeld, W. J. (Ed.). (1992). Homophobia: How We All Pay the Price. Boston: Beacon Press.
- Council of Europe. (2011). Discrimination on Grounds of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity in Europe (2nd ed.). Strasbourg Cedex, France: Council of Europe Publishing.
- Herek, G. M. (Ed.). (1998). Stigma and Sexual Orientation: Understanding Prejudice Against Lesbians, Gay Men, and Bisexuals. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Kantor, M. (2009). Homophobia: The State of Sexual Bigotry Today (2nd ed.). Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Plummer, D. (1999). One of the Boys: Masculinity, Homophobia, and Modern Manhood. New York: Harrington Park Press.
- Schulman, S. (2009). Ties That Bind: Familial Homophobia and Its Consequences. New York: The New Press.
History of Heterosexism and Homophobia
- Blank, H. (2012). Straight: The Surprisingly Short History of Hetrosexuality. Boston, MA: Beacon Press.
- Crompton, L. (2003). Homosexuality and Civilization. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Faderman, L. (1999). To Believe in Women: What Lesbians Have Done for America -- A History. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin.
- Fone, B. (2000). Homophobia: A History. New York: Picador USA.
- Katz, J. (1992). Gay American History: Lesbians and Gay Men in the U.S.A.: A Documentary History. (rev. ed.). New York: Plume.
- Murdoch, J., & Price, D. (2001). Courting Justice: Gay Men and Lesbians v. the Supreme Court. New York: Basic Books.
- Neill, J. (2009). The Origins and Role of Same-Sex Relations in Human Societies. Jefferson, NC: McFarland.
- Pickett, B. L. (2009). Historical Dictionary of Homosexuality. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press.
Reducing Heterosexism and Homophobia
- Blackburn, M. V., Clark, C. T., Kenney, L. M., & Smith, J. M. (Eds.). (2009). Acting Out! Combating Homophobia Through Teacher Activism. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Meyer, E. J., & Brown, L. M. (2009). Gender, Bullying, and Harassment: Strategies to End Sexism and Homophobia in Schools. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Perrotti, J., & Westheimer, K. (2001). When the Drama Club Is Not Enough: Lessons from the Safe Schools Program for Gay and Lesbian Students. Boston, MA: Beacon Press.
- Rothblum, E. D., & Bond, L. A. (Eds.). (1996). Preventing Heterosexism and Homophobia. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Savage, D., & Miller, T. (Eds.). (2011). It Gets Better: Coming Out, Overcoming Bullying, and Creating a Life Worth Living. New York: Penguin Group, Inc.
- Sears, J. T., & Williams, W. L. (Eds.). (1997). Overcoming Heterosexism and Homophobia: Strategies That Work. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Stewart, C. (1999). Sexually Stigmatized Communities: Reducing Heterosexism and Homophobia: An Awareness Training Manual. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Rights
- Badgett, M. V. L. (2010). When Gay People Get Married: What Happens When Societies Legalize Same-Sex Marriage. New York: New York University Press.
- Carpenter, D. (2012). Flagrant Conduct: The Story of Lawrence v. Texas: How a Bedroom Arrest Decriminalized Gay Americans. New York: W. W. Norton.
- Hirshman, L. (2012). Victory: The Triumphant Gay Revolution. New York: HarperCollins Publishers.
- Lampo, D. (2012). A Fundamental Freedom: Why Republicans, Conservatives, and Libertarians Should Support Gay Rights. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Michaelson, J. (2011). God vs. Gay? The Religious Case for Equality. Boston, MA: Beacon Press.
- Myers, D. G., & Scanzoni, L. D. (2005). What God Has Joined Together: The Christian Case for Gay Marriage. San Francisco, CA: HarperSanFrancisco.
- Nava, M., & Dawidoff, R. (1994). Created Equal: Why Gay Rights Matter to America. New York: St. Martin's Press.
- Nussbaum, M. C. (2010). From Disgust to Humanity: Sexual Orientation and Constitutional Law. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Rickard, J., & Gilbert, E. (2011). Torn Apart: United by Love, Divided by Law. Scotland, UK: Findhorn Press.
- Stein, M. (2012). Rethinking the Gay and Lesbian Movement. New York: Routledge.
- Stone, A. L. (2012). Gay Rights at the Ballot Box. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.
- Baird, V. (2001). The No-Nonsense Guide to Sexual Diversity. London: Verso.
- Diamond, L. M. (2008). Sexual Fluidity: Understanding Women's Love and Desire. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Garnets, L. D., & Kimmel, D. C. (Eds.). (1993). Psychological Perspectives on Lesbian and Gay Male Experiences. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Meyer, I. H., & Northridge, M. E. (Eds.). (2010). The Health of Sexual Minorities: Public Health Perspectives on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Populations. New York: Springer.
- Patterson, C. J., & D'Augelli, A. R. (Eds.). (2012). Handbook of Psychology and Sexual Orientation. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Savin-Williams, R. C. (2001). Mom, Dad. I'm Gay: How Families Negotiate Coming Out. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Serwatka, T. S. (2010). Queer Questions, Clear Answers: The Contemporary Debates on Sexual Orientation. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger.
- Stein, E. (1999). The Mismeasure of Desire: The Science, Theory, and Ethics of Sexual Orientation. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Bryan, J. (2012). From the Dress-Up Corner to the Senior Prom: Navigating Gender and Sexuality Diversity in PreK-12 Schools. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Education.
- Colapinto, J. (2006). As Nature Made Him: The Boy Who Was Raised as a Girl. (2nd ed.). New York: HarperCollins Publishers.
- Fausto-Sterling, A. (2000). Sexing the Body: Gender Politics and the Construction of Sexuality. New York: Basic Books.
- Fine, C. (2010). Delusions of Gender: How Our Minds, Society, and Neurosexism Create Difference. New York: W. W. Norton & Company.
- Kimmel, M. S. (2000). The Gendered Society. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Nanda, S. (2000). Gender Diversity: Crosscultural Variations. Prospect Heights, IL: Waveland Press.
- Paoletti, J. B. (2012). Pink and Blue: Telling the Boys from the Girls in America. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.
- Callahan, G. N. (2009). Between XX and XY: Intersexuality and the Myth of Two Sexes. Chicago, IL: Chicago Review Press.
- Dreger, A. D. (1998). Hermaphrodites and the Medical Invention of Sex. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Greenberg, J. A. (2012). Intersexuality and the Law: Why Sex Matters. New York: New York University Press.
- Karkazis, K. (2008). Fixing Sex: Intersex, Medical Authority, and Lived Experience. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- Mak, G. (2012). Doubting Sex: Inscriptions, Bodies and Selves in Nineteenth-Century Hermaphrodite Case Histories. Manchester, UK: Manchester University Press.
- Pepper, R. (Ed.). (2012). Transitions of the Heart: Stories of Love, Struggle and Acceptance by Mothers of Transgender and Gender Variant Children. Berkeley, CA: Cleis Press Inc.
- Reis, E. (2012). Bodies in Doubt: An American History of Intersex (reprint ed.). Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Beemyn, G., & Rankin, S. (2011). The Lives of Transgender People. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Bornstein, K., & Bergman, S. B. (2010). Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation. Berkeley, CA: Seal Press.
- Brown, M. L., & Rounsley C. A. (1996). True Selves: Understanding Transsexualism: For Families, Friends, Coworkers, and Helping Professionals. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Feinberg, L. (1998). Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink or Blue. Boston, MA: Beacon Press.
- Gherovici, P. (2010). Please Select Your Gender: From the Invention of Hysteria to the Democratizing of Transgenderism. New York: Routledge.
- Kailey, M. (2005). Just Add Hormones: An Insider's Guide to the Transsexual Experience. Boston, MA: Beacon Press.
- Kennedy, P. (2007). The First Man-Made Man: The Story of Two Sex Changes, One Love Affair, and a Twentieth-Century Medical Revolution. New York: Bloomsbury USA.
- Sheridan, V. (2009). The Complete Guide to Transgender in the Workplace. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger.
- Teich, N. M. (2011). Transgender 101: A Simple Guide to a Complex Issue. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Brodzinsky, D. M., & Pertman, A. (Eds.). (2012). Adoption by Lesbians and Gay Men: A New Dimension in Family Diversity. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Cianciotto, J., & Cahill, S. (2012). LGBT Youth in America's Schools. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
- Goldberg, A. E. (2010). Lesbian and Gay Parents and Their Children: Research on the Family Life Cycle. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Seefried, J. (2012). Our Time: Breaking the Silence of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". New York: Penguin Group, Inc.
- Tremblay, M., Paternotte, D., & Johnson, C. (2011). The Lesbian and Gay Movement and the State: Comparative Insights into a Transformed Relationship. Burlington, VT: Ashgate Publishing Limited.
- Walls, Z. (2012). My Two Moms: Lessons of Love, Strength, and What Makes a Family. New York: Gotham Books.
- White, M. (1994). Stranger at the Gate: To Be Gay and Christian in America. New York: Simon & Schuster.
| Magazines, E-Zines, and Reviews:|
| Newsletters, E-Letters, and News Services:|
Tips from Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
- Amnesty International. (2008, July 4). Love, Hate and the Law: Decriminalizing Homosexuality (AI report index: POL 30/003/2008). London: Author.
- Burns, C. (2012, March). The Costly Business of Discrimination: The Economic Costs of Discrimination and the Financial Benefits of Gay and Transgender Equality in the Workplace. Washington, DC: Center for American Progress.
- Council of Europe. (2009). Human Rights and Gender Identity. Strasbourg Cedex, France: Council of Europe Publishing.
- Gates, G. J. (2012, March 1). LGBT Identity: A Demographer's Perspective. 45 Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review, 45, 693-714.
- Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network. (2012). Playgrounds and Prejudice: Elementary School Climate in the United States: A Survey of Students and Teachers. New York: Author.
- Grant, J. M., Mottet, L. A., Tanis, J., Harrison, J., Herman, J. L., & Keisling, M. (2011). Injustice at Every Turn: A Report of the National Transgender Discrimination Survey. Washington, DC: National Center for Transgender Equality and National Gay and Lesbian Task Force.
- Itaborahy, L. P. (2012, May). State-Sponsored Homophobia: A World Survey of Laws Criminalising Same-Sex Sexual Acts Between Consenting Adults. Brussels, Belgium: International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association.
- Konnoth, C. J., & Gates, G. J. (2011, November). Same-Sex Couples and Immigration in the United States. Los Angeles, CA: The Williams Institute, UCLA School of Law.
- Lehrman, S. (1999, April 5). Sex police. From Salon.com.
- National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs. (2012). Hate Violence Against Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and HIV-Affected Communities in the United States in 2011. New York: Author.
- United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights. (2011, November 17). Discriminatory Laws and Practices and Acts of Violence Against Individuals Based on Their Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (report GE.11-17075). Geneva, Switzerland: Author.
- U.S. General Accounting Office. (2009, October 1). Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Employment Discrimination: Overview of State Statutes and Complaint Data (report GAO-10-135R). Washington, DC: Author.
Public Opinion Research